Friday, April 13, 2012

Skype in the Classroom

Recently I had the opportunity to Skype with an educator from the Owen J. Roberts School District.  I thought it was beneficial to share our ideas on using Skype and to collaborate on a project that we are working on.  I have used Skype previously to communicate with others on professional education topics.  I have also used Skype to make international calls from Scotland to the US over the summer.  We used it to communicate with classrooms in another country and we also used it to communicate with one of our teachers who was out on leave.  I believe that the students greatly benefited from these experiences.  The students would never be able to connect and experience this type of collaboration without the use of Skype (or a similar tool).  Using this type of technological tool in the classroom can be very valuable.  I would like to set-up more collaborative “meetings” with other schools so both of our groups of students can experience this technology and learn from each other about specific topics of study.


Skype in the Classroom - http://education.skype.com/

1 comment:

  1. Collaboration with another educator, while working on a shared project, is a great use of Skype! I use it with educators in my district because it's difficult to meet during the day and we in-service only several times a year. Meeting with department peers is so important, but it just isn't built into our school day!

    Your resources are awesome, Chris! There are many ways to connect with other schools and classrooms and I'll have to dig a bit more to find something for my students before this school year is out.

    I plan to use Skype to collaborate on copyright issues with another classroom in the district. And a colleague and I are planning to share screens through Skype for a using Animoto and Movie Maker - sort of a presentation type of interaction between students as they complete movie projects.

    Louise

    ReplyDelete